Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Whats the best Computer Optimizer
kazper
post Nov 24 2005, 08:16 AM
Post #1

Regular

Group: Member
Member No.: 3,927

i'm looking for the BEST Computer Optimizer around biggrin.gif hope you guys can give some advice wink.gif

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
coathanger007
post Nov 24 2005, 10:57 AM
Post #2

Respected Veteran

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Whoa....that's a toughie kazper. There really is no one tweaker that does everything well (though some have tried). You have to tweak using the best utility to carry out certain functions imo....e.g. best defrag = diskeeper, best registry cleaner = jv16 etc etc
Lots more here:
http://decentdownloads.x-istence.com/Tweak...Tweakfiles.html

For an all in one I'd recommend TuneXP:
http://www.driverheaven.net/dforce/showdoc.php?doc=txp_about

--------------------

+Quote Post
jkp
post Nov 24 2005, 01:53 PM
Post #3

Contributor

Member No.: 209

The best computer optimizer is an informed and knowledgeable user.

By this I mean you, the informed and knowledgeable user, take control over what programs and/or services are running on your machine. You can't optimize past the machine's physical/electronic limits BUT you can certainly degrade a machine's performance by permitting unwanted or unneeded programs to run automatically. Examples:

> If you're not on a wireless network, do you really need Windows XP's support services for one or, if you're on broadband, do you need telephony support? (Google for Windows services).

> With a desktop computer, do you need power management services (designed for laptops) to be running?

> If you must view Real media or Quick Time files do you really need the stupid "call home" and "rapid access" programs running with icons in your system tray?

> Do you limit the size of browser caches and clean them out frequently (the Microsoft default for the Internet Explorer is incredibly large and results in a lot of wasted disk space, fragmentation, and browser slowdowns)?

Yesterday, I "fixed" a machine which would apparently boot normally (to XP Home) but then wouldn't do anything for approximately 10 minutes. I've not yet tracked down the exact problem but the interim solution was simple: I ran Msconfig and disabled any and all startup items not essential to Windows.

Just taking positive control of what runs on your computer and normal disk maintenance (clean out the junk and defrag) will produce amazing results.

--------------------
John

+Quote Post
kazper
post Nov 24 2005, 11:44 PM
Post #4

Regular

i have a pc booster and a free ram xp pro.. but i really wanted to make it faster biggrin.gif laugh.gif i'm still not happy with the speed of my pc.. i know i'm asking too much but it's not like this before

--------------------

+Quote Post
jkp
post Nov 25 2005, 11:56 AM
Post #5

Contributor

First off, RAM optimizers are a joke--they don't gain you anything. Most, if not all, so-called optimizer programs are designed only to optimize the programmer's income. RAM is designed to be used; "optimizers" simply force Windows to write out RAM contents to the hard drive before Windows really needs to do so.

If your computer is running slower than it should, you need to look at all the programs and/or services that are launched each time you boot. Almost all of them eat RAM and CPU resources and it's a good bet that at least 50% of them are unneeded.

On the hardware side, if you have less than 512 megabytes of RAM, you need to upgrade to, at least, that amount. In this area be aware that machines with onboard video chips allocate so-called "shared RAM" to the display chip so that the RAM is not "shared" i.e. a machine with 256 mb might allocate 16 or 32 mb to the display chip making it completely unavailable to Windows.

Still with hardware, ensure your disk is cleaned of temporary files and defragged frequently. I worked on one machine that couldn't print a complete picture simply because the Temp folder was full of enough junk that Windows couldn't swap out memory as required.

--------------------
John

+Quote Post
kazper
post Nov 25 2005, 11:31 PM
Post #6

Regular

i have a P4 1.6GHz 448 of RAM in my office.. i'm pretty sure that i need all the programs that are running.. and i dont use onboard video chips wink.gif i only have 10 programs running when i boot up..

--------------------

+Quote Post
sphoenixee
post Nov 26 2005, 01:21 AM
Post #7

Regular

Member No.: 3,331

RAM Optimizers = garbage, garbage, stay away! very high possiblity of slowing down your pc!

There is hardly a pressing need for most users to have 512mb ram...i myself hardly use a peak of 300mb ram (though i wasted good money on buying 1gb) and am running winxp pro. for those who run earlier OSs, e.g. windows 4 or mac 9 have even less need for 512mb ram. Of course, it all depends on what you do...

kazper, 10 programs as in 10 processes? or 10 applications? or...?

--------------------

+Quote Post
jkp
post Nov 26 2005, 06:39 AM
Post #8

Contributor

448 mb RAM almost certainly indicates you have an onboard video chip eating 64 mb (RAM comes in multiples of 128 mb and you can't create 448 in any combination of 128's). However, it sounds like you have sufficient RAM so you need to look elsewhere.

10 programs running on boot is not an "only" situation, it's a "holy sh*t" one. It's almost a certainty that you don't need them all. Post a list and let us know. If each of those programs eats just two percent of your CPU's time, you've lost 20% of your processor's computing power.

You need to check the programs you have running and verifu that your hard disk is clean. If you're using Internet Explorer as your main or only browser, ensure that its cache size is set to somewhere around 5-10 mb (the Microsoft default, established when hard drives were maxed out at around 20 mb, is ridiculous). A clean and defragged hard drive will speed up your computer.

--------------------
John

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2014 - 01:45 AM
Affiliates:   Illustrator Tutorials   Free Vista Themes   Freeware Files  
Network Sites:   Latest Tech News   Internet Security   Windows Vista Themes